This Weekend in Memphis Music
On Monday the summer solstice officially begins, so celebrate the last few hot days of spring with some live Memphis music this weekend. Here’s a menu sampler for you:
- Tonight at Escape Alley Sundry, Linda Heck will play an all-ages show.
- Saturday at Mud Island, Rock-n-Romp Memphis will feature Magic Kids and Al Kapone alongside The Junkman, who will be leading “Junk Jams” with parents and kids using instruments made from recycled materials in between sets. There will be free BBQ from Central BBQ, and kids get in free, too. Parents should plan on a suggested donation of $5.
- Saturday at Poplar Lounge, Punching Nicholas plays and a mere $5 will get you in the door and a Punching Nicholas Fight Club tee shirt — but you have to know the secret password. Get it here.
- Saturday at the Levitt Shell, Joyce Cobb will be bringing her jazz to the stage at 7:30 p.m. — and of course, it’s free! Just get there early to nab a good seat.
- Sunday night at Majestic Grille, WUMR presents an evening of jazz with Marvin Stamm. He’ll be joined by a cast of talented Memphis musicians, and all the proceeds from the evening will go to benefit the Robert McDowell Fund, established in memory of WUMR’s long-time general manager. Tickets are $25 in advance and $30 at the door.