This weekend in Memphis music
This weekend — like every weekend, really — you have a practical cornucopia of Memphis music choices to spice up your Friday or Saturday night. Or even your Sunday afternoon! We know it’s cold, and it’s been dreary, so the natural inclination is to stay in. We get it. But we’re challenging you to get out and see one band this weekend. Just one! We can almost guarantee you’ll have a good time. Here’s a selection to get you started:
- Tonight at the HiTone, Arma Secreta and American Gods, 10 p.m., $5 cover.
- Saturday at the Levitt Shell, Memphis Area Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts presents Lawlapalooza. Bring your instrument and jam! $5 for listeners, $3 for musicians and it runs from 4 to 8 p.m.
- Saturday at Otherlands, Sid Selvidge and Amy Speace at 8 p.m. presented by the Memphis Acoustic Music Association. Tickets are $20 and are available in advance at Davis Kidd Booksellers.
- Saturday at the Buccaneer, Sin City Scoundrels.
- Saturday at the HiTone, DJ Buck Wilders and the Hook Up, free show at 10 p.m.
- Saturday at the Center for Southern Folklore Hall, Bluff City Backsliders from 9 to 11 p.m.
- Saturday at the Germantown Performing Arts Centre, Peanut Butter and Jam Sessions: Latin Jazz with Symbiosis. It starts at 9:30 a.m., and $8 will get in a child and two parents.
- Saturday at Neil’s, Van Duren Group with special guest Ruthann Friedman at 10 p.m.
- Saturday at The Cove, the Sultana and Eudora Jane, 10 p.m.
- Saturday at the Young Avenue Deli, the BMGs at 10 p.m.
- Saturday at the New Daisy, Jupiter Stone and Swoon, 7 p.m.
- Sunday at Shangri-La Records, check out the fall record swap from noon to 5 p.m. featuring Kruxe and the Gunslingers. Buy, sell and trade CDs, DVDs, LPs, memorabilia and more. It’s $10 to set up your own table.
- Sunday at the Rumba Room, the Basement Soul Lounge celebrates its one year anniversary with Algebra Blessett. Doors open at 6 p.m. and show starts at 7 p.m.