This weekend in Memphis music
It’s December! We’re all decorated for the season here at the MRC, and in fact we had our holiday party last night. (It was good to see some familiar faces!) We’re pretty exhausted from all the cheer, but we’ll probably still try to get into some live music this weekend, and you should, too. And if you’re feeling festive on Saturday, check out the Main Street Christmas Parade starting at 5 p.m. on South Main — MRC Members will be riding in a float representing the Music Foundation! Here’s a sampling of what’s happening in music around town this weekend:
- Tonight at the HiTone, Dirty Streets, The Unbeheld and Iron Tongue at 10 p.m.
- Tonight at Poplar Lounge, Joecephus and the George Jonestown Massacre at 10 p.m.
- Saturday at Otherlands, the Memphis Acoustic Music Association presents Nora Jane Struthers and P.J. George from 8 to 11 p.m. There’s a $12 cover, doors open at 7 p.m. and the show starts at 8.
- Saturday at the HiTone, John Paul Keith and the One Four Fives with Jim Mize at 10 p.m.
- Saturday at the Buccaneer, Glory and Mouserocket.
- Saturday at the Cannon Center for the Performing Arts, the Memphis Symphony Orchestra presents Home for the Holidays. Tickets start at $15, and the performance begins at 8 p.m.
- Saturday at The Blue Monkey, singer/songwriter, southern blues guitarist Kirk Smithhart takes the stage.
- Saturday at The Full Moon Club, the “Who Shot John” CD release party for the Sin City Scoundrels.
- Saturday at the Germantown Performing Arts Centre, the IRIS Orchestra performs with guest violinist Augustin Hadelich at 8 p.m. Tickets range from $10 to $55.
- Saturday at Kudzu’s, Nora Tucker joins Java at 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday at the Cove, Grupo Jobu at 10 p.m.
- Saturday at Neil’s, The Mudflaps reunion, 10 p.m.
- Sunday at Neil’s there is a Benefit Concert for the Children of the Dominican Republic featuring Eddie Smith, R.T. Scott, Shortwave Jack & Friends, and The Backstreet Crawlers. Starts at 4 p.m.
- Sunday at the HiTone, the British invasion meets Memphis power-pop with Jeffrey and the Pacemakers at 5 p.m.
- Sunday at the HiTone, also catch EYEHATEGOD, Phobia and Process of Suffocation.