This weekend in Memphis music
It’s Memorial Day weekend, which means three full days of fantastic music and not a care in the world! Right? Well, if you’re going to Memphis Hates You Fest, it definitely does, and even if you’re looking for something a little less heavy we’ve got you covered. Check out a selection of what’s going on around town this weekend for your listening (and dancing, and moshing) pleasure. (And don’t forget to look for our staff recommendations again this week in bold!)
- Tonight at Minglewood Hall, Mavis Staples and The Bo-Keys. Show starts at 8 p.m. and doors open at 7 p.m. The $25 ticket price seems like a bargain to see the GRAMMY-winning Mavis Staples and jam to The Bo-Keys all in one night.
- Tonight at the Balinese Ballroom, Grace Askew & The Black Market Goods album release party. $10 will get you in the door and $15 will get you a copy of the album, too. There’ll be grub and drinks provided by Ferraro’s, so get yourself there at 7 p.m.!
- Tonight at The Cove, Richard James & the Special Riders at 10 p.m.
- Tonight at The Bucc, Jack Oblivian and the Tearjerkers.
- Tonight and Saturday at the HiTone, Sunday at The Bucc, Memphis Hates You Fest. It’s just $10 a day or $20 for a three-day pass, and the list of bands goes on and on: Galaxicon, Process of Suffication, Cremains, Saurus, Dirty Streets, The Unbeheld, Chinamen, Youniverse, Tanks and many more. You can’t beat the price for the music. And if it’s too loud? Put in some ear plugs and move closer to the stage!
- Saturday at Neil’s, Wampa, Bean and Nathan Evans at 9 p.m.
- Saturday at Escape Alley Sundry, Odd Normality, Youniverse, JP & the Jackrollers and Sin City Scoundrels from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Saturday at The Bucc, Copper Possum.
- Sunday at Huey’s Midtown, The Chaulkies play from 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
- Sunday at Huey’s Southwind, Soul Shockers from 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.