This weekend in Memphis music
Well, it’s officially summer. Memorial Day weekend has passed, the temperature is reaching what meteorologists surely call “The Memphis Range,” and the music is still playing on. So get out of the heat and into one of the great shows going on around the city this weekend. Check out this sample of shows playing around town, and as usual, look for our staff recommendation in bold.
- Tonight at Dan McGuiness Pub, Frankie Hollie and The Noise play some of their country rock.
- Tonight at Neil’s, Brad Webb and Friends featuring David Hudson go on at 9 p.m.
- Saturday at Otherlands, Holly Cole and the Memphis Dawls start the show at 8 p.m. Cover is $5.
- Saturday at Hi-Tone Cafe, John Paul Keith & The 145s celebrate their album release, kicking off at 9 p.m. It’s only $7 to get in the door. This staff pick comes from Elizabeth, our coordinator of communications and development. “If you want a good preview for Saturday’s show, check out the story in this week’s edition of The CA’s Go Memphis section. You’ll also probably want to download the track he premiered on RCRDLBL a few weeks ago, ‘Afraid to Look.’ If that track is any indication, then you will find me in the front, doing something that can only accurately be called DANCIN.”
- Saturday at P&H Cafe, The Ex-Optimists are playing with Memphis bands Modern Convenience and Chinamen.
- Saturday at Neil’s, The Belewtalooza benefit for Danny Belew features Eddie Smith, Tommy Burroughs, Reba Russell, Pat and Susan Taylor, Steve Ingle, Chip Thomas, James Flynn, R.R. Scott, and more at 5 p.m.
- Sunday at Huey’s Downtown, The Memphis All-Stars start playing at 8:30.
- Sunday at Celtic Crossing, acoustic duo Susie & Bob Salley perform from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m.
- Sunday at Hi-Tone Cafe, don’t miss the Memphis Blues Society Showcase featuring Michael Burks, Vince Johnson and the Plantation All-stars, Valerie June, and more, starting at 5 p.m.
- Sunday at Huey’s Collierville, go dance to the sounds of the Soul Shockers from 8 to 11:30 p.m.
- Sunday at Neil’s, Mo Boogie is back from a hiatus! Hear them play at 8 p.m.
As always, let us know if we need to be promoting your gig in this space. Just leave a comment or send a note to elizabeth (at) memphismeansmusic (dot) com.