This weekend in Memphis music
As the Miami Heat seem to lose their grip on the NBA Finals, the grip the heat had on Memphis has finally let up and it’s starting to feel more like summer and less like a city-wide furnace. So why don’t you go to one of the great shows this weekend to celebrate? We’ve provided an eclectic sampling for you to choose from this weekend, so check it out:
- Tonight at Blue Monkey, the Patrick Dodd Trio brings the house down.
- Tonight at Neil’s, singer/songwriter Eddie Smith starts playing at 8 p.m.
- Tonight at Hi-Tone Cafe, Tiger High with Modern Convenience. Cover is $5 and doors open at 9 p.m.
- Tonight and Saturday at Blues City Cafe, connect to the roots of Memphis with rockabilly group Stunning Cunning, starting at 8 p.m.
- Tonight at the Levitt Shell, Thalia Sanchez and Mariachi America bring a little spice to your night at 7:30 p.m.
- Tonight at the Buccaneer, Good Luck Dark Star and Woodenmouth June, 8 p.m.
- Saturday at Blue Monkey, Ryan Peel plays his blend of modern pop and old-school soul. This week’s staff recommendation comes from our newest addition to the MMF team, our summer intern Will. “Ryan has been garnering a strong following in the Memphis area thanks to his unique style and vocal and drum talents. Ryan is nearing completion in the recording of his first album, so you may hear some of the tracks from this show on the radio soon.”
- Saturday at Dan McGuiness Pub, enjoy a taste of rock with Snozberry.
- Saturday at the New Daisy Theater, come see an epic Battle of the Bands, featuring everything from metal to rap. The battle begins at 4 p.m. and it’s $10 to get in the door.
- Saturday at Escape Alley Sundry, jam to The Vynals at 8 p.m.
- Saturday at Dru’s Place, Seeing Red plays at 9 p.m.
- Sunday at Huey’s Southwind, dance the night away to The King Beez’s R&B tunes at 8:30 p.m.
- Sunday at Huey’s Poplar, The Memphis Icebreakers play some of your old favorites at 8:30.
And remember, if you have a show you wanted listed on the blog, be sure to comment or shoot us an email at elizabeth (at) memphismeansmusic (dot) com.