This weekend in Memphis music
All we can think about here is the impending Memphis Music Launch Showcase. (It’s July 8 at the New Daisy Theater, in case you hadn’t already marked your calendars!) We’ve got a countdown clock ticking away the days, minutes and seconds but even with the big day nigh we’re still keeping tabs on all the good Memphis music happening for your weekend. Here’s a sampling of what’s on offer, and as usual, look for our staff recommendation in bold.
- Tonight at the Blues Hall on Beale, Brandon Santini & His Band will blow you away with their harmonica-based blues. The show goes from 8 p.m. to midnight.
- Tonight at the HiTone, Heavy Eyes and Kentucky Knife Fight open for Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit.
- Tonight at the Buccaneer, Glorie and Mouth Karate.
- Tonight at Minglewood Hall’s 1884 Lounge, see Stout for their third Minglewood show. Doors at 9 p.m. for this 18 and up show.
- Tonight at Stage Sop, Naughty Dog plays from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Saturday at Daily Planet, Chinamen, Sin City Scoundrels and Dead Twin rock out.
- Saturday at Young Avenue Deli, up-and-coming rap artist Knowledge Nick is celebrating the release of his second album Transcribed Sentiment. Check out today’s article in Go Memphis to find out more about this young rapper. $7 gets you in the door.
- Saturday at the HiTone, House of Mews Benefit Show featuring Silver Seeds, Imagination Head, The Near Reaches, Richard James & The Special Riders and Wampa. Doors at 9 p.m.
- Saturday at New Daisy Theatre, One Less Reason rocks hard. Doors open at 7:00 p.m. and tickets are $10.
- Saturday at Stop 345, Ashley McBryde’s album release party for Elsebound starts at 7 p.m. The cover charge of $25 will get you into the show, a copy of the album and exclusive digital downloads. This recommendation comes from Program Assistant Wil Gatlin. “Artists like Ashley McBryde are as much a joy, as they are rare these days. She blends her sometimes vulnerable and highly personal story telling style with a unique, modern country sound that will both steal your heart and make you wanna rock out with this down home, country bad girl all night long. It’s only a matter of time before Ashley has her place among today’s top songwriters and country artists in Nashville. “
- Saturday at Old Daisy Theatre, Dr. John Bell presents the latest entry in the Great Night of Soul music series. This time artists will be playing tributes to Al Green and Willie Mitchell.
- Saturday at Neil’s, The Vynals Band plays some of your favorite classic rock tunes.
- Sunday at Huey’s Poplar, get your groove on with the Soul Shockers, starting at 8:30 p.m.
- Sunday at the HiTone, Scott H. Biram with Richard James, 9 p.m.
- Sunday at B. B. King’s Blues Club, Patrick Dodd Band.
- Sunday at The Buccaneer, Elizabeth Wise plays her own brand of country music.