This weekend in Memphis music
Did you miss us last week? We took a little break since our every thought was consumed by this teeny little project. But with the MML Showcase behind us (and the winners – The Delta Collective – announced!) we’re ready to bring you this weekend’s musical offerings. As always, look for our staff recommendation in bold.
- Tonight at the New Daisy Theatre, The Doorknobs, JP and The Jackrollers and Loser’s Way Home. The doors open at 7 p.m. and the cover is $10.
- Tonight at Blue Monkey Midtown, Raymond’s Last Day.
- Tonight at Minglewood Hall, The Incredible Hook opens for The B-52s. The show starts at 8 p.m., and tickets are $42 in advance and $45 at the door.
- Tonight at Dan McGuinness Pub, No Control.
- Tonight at Doc Watson’s, Tom, Dick and Harry.
- Tonight at the HiTone, Nobunny with Sharp Balloons and Kruxe, 9 p.m.
- Tonight at Swanky’s Germantown, Chris Milam plays a free, all-ages show that kicks off at 10 p.m.
- Tonight at Neil’s, Grupo Jobu and The Evil West, 10 p.m.
- Saturday at the New Daisy Theatre, Gorilla Productions puts on another Battle of the Bands. Special guests this time are Buried West, Cobra of the Squid, Un-pleasant Meadows, Classroom Saga, Dionzyus and more.
- Saturday at the Rum Boogie Cafe, Pam and Terry put on an afternoon performance from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday at the Superior Bar, Eric Hughes plays from noon to 4 p.m.
- Saturday at Wet Willie’s, Sofa Kings begin at 7 p.m.
- Saturday at Newby’s, ZOOGMA with Ployd and Lightajo.
- Saturday at Flying Saucer Draught Emporium, Whirled Boogie at 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday at the Levitt Shell, Amy LaVere celebrates the release of her third solo effort, Stranger Me. The show begins at 8 p.m. If you haven’t heard the record yet, it’s streaming on NPR — so listen now. With Ghost River beer on tap and no cover charge, there’s not much better we can think of to do with your Saturday night.
- Saturday at Minglewood Hall, Memphis locals DJ Ben Murray and Total Savage spin for the Black and Neon rave.
- Saturday at P&H Cafe, Rc da Colaman and DJ Squirt throw down.
- Saturday at Dan McGuiness Pub, FreeWorld jams.
- Saturday at Doc Watson’s, White Noise Theory plays some of the music on their forthcoming album.
- Saturday at Hadley’s Pub, Down 2 Five, 9 p.m.
- Saturday at The Cove, Bluff City Backsliders, 10 p.m.
- Sunday at Blue Monkey Midtown, Afterglow.
- Sunday at Minglewood Hall, Chinese Connection Dub Embassy, The Beat Officers, Slick Sid and The Gangsterbillies and Sanga begin a night of hip-hop at 9 p.m.
- Sunday at the Buccaneer, Elizabeth Wise.
Do you have a show we should be talking about here? Let us know! Leave a comment on the blog or contact us at pat (at) memphismeansmusic (dot) com.